** Side note: Mabel is very much in love with her dad these days so if I don't take her out of the house when he has stuff to do she will insist he hold her the entire time. It makes putting in gas lines tricky when you only have one free arm.
Anyway, to the beach we went. About a mile from our house is a little beach right on the lake. It is very convenient and cute. She and I have been before, but always when the weather was unpleasant so there was never a desire to really play there. Today we went to play. We brought her pail and shovel and watering can (and a doll) so she could do it up beach style.
How did it go? Well...Mabel hates to get dirty but loves jumping in water. I can't explain it. She bee-lined for the lake saying "water water water" the whole way. One she got there she was a little timid because of the waves so she held on to me. I quickly realized that there were good odds she would be knee deep in the lake as soon as she warmed up to it so I took her shoes and socks off. (We have lost several pairs of shoes due to her puddle jumping tendencies.) This is where things got interesting.
She hated that there was sand stuck to her feet. I tried to rinse them off and put her shoes and socks back on, but she wasn't into that either. So I put her back in the sand. Which made her feet dirty again. Which then I tried to rinse off. You see the pattern? I finally convinced her to just let me put her socks on so she could run around the beach with dirt free feet, but allowing us to have the shoes as backup footwear for the trip home. That worked for her. We now know that beach trips must include "beach socks" for the dear child. The rest of our time there was nice. M was very happy playing in the sand with her shovel and pail.


No comments:
Post a Comment