Saturday, October 10, 2009

Big News

Well, our world and plan for the future got flip turned around this week.

My boss called me on Wednesday and told me that our office had been hit with a "budget tsunami" as he put it. Basically, we have to cut over $480,000 from our next year budget which is a ton for an office of our size. He told me that they were considering offering job shares or part time positions as a method of cutting costs. Before he could even ask if I would be interested I said "ooo ooo pick me pick me!" I calmed down and told him that Brett and I would have to discuss it and run the numbers, but if it worked I would be willing to do that.

Brett and I ran the numbers and discussed the pros and cons and decided that I should do it. When I go back to work in February I'll be going back 2 days a week and have the other 3 work week days to spend with Miss M. I also have the option of telecommuting occasionally so some weeks I might only have to go in once. After a year or two, when Mabel is older and will want to socialize more in a daycare setting, I'll be able to go back to a full time position.

I am beyond excited. Obviously, I will be making less money and will have to follow a stricter budget (bye bye pedicures) but it will be worth it to spend time with Mabel. I am still in shock that this is going to happen. If you had asked me on Monday what my dream scenario was for working it would have been this. I just can't really wrap my brain around the fact my dream scenario is happening.

1 comment: