Sunday, March 20, 2011

Re-plumbed

Almost a year after we moved into the house, I replaced 90% of the original water pipes in the house. Why? Because the old ones looked like this:

No exaggeration. (And not my pic or text on it, but you get the idea.)

I replaced all the pipe I could without opening up walls with PEX, a plastic pipe, that costs a lot less than copper, is less prone to freezing and bursting, and quick to run. Took me about a day to get everything converted and knock-on-wood, no drips. I installed this fancy thing, a manifold, which works like an electric breaker - easy to cut off a faucet or to expand later.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Kate named it Diva after the character from "The Fifth Element:


Everything hooked up:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Next:
1. Put in some additional supports
2. Build a wall on the right side of the room (by the blue pipes) and clean up all those lines
3. Install a tankless water heater

Should be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment